Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yummo!

Today, as I was folding laundry, I came across the Rachael Ray Show.  I've seen it before, but admittedly, I'm not a daily viewer.  I enjoy her show, but I just don't normally watch...I'm usually not home or too busy doing other things to catch it.  I like her though, I think she's entertaining and not fake.  She seems like a regular girl.  Anyway, I happen to catch the "What's for Dinner" portion of the show today and ironically, it seemed a whole lot like what I made for dinner last night, minus the turkey.  Huh?, it must be a mushroomy kinda of week for more than just my family. 

I learned a few things from Rachael today.  First, I never knew that you shouldn't form your hamburgers/pattys into perfect flat circles.  You either huh?  Yeah, apparently, you are supposed to make them fatter along the edge and thinner in the middle so you don't get that UFO shaped burger after it's cooked.  Good to know!  Secondly, I never thought to use dry sherry for deglazing the pan with mushrooms and adding thyme.  Another good to know moment. (I've been having them a WHOLE lot recently)

Luckily, I had all of the ingredients at home, as I had just made a mushroom dish the night before.  I actually had extra mushrooms since my local store had Portobello Mushrooms on sale 2/$4.00.  I love the caps.  I love them grilled, sauteed, marinated, as burgers themselves...well, I guess you get the hint, I just love them, and go figure, they are even good for you.  Bonus!  

My family is funny, they always tell me how they don't like ground turkey, but even funnier, I give it to them ALL of the time.  Sometimes I get caught and that's when I get the "I don't like this" "...is this ground turkey again?" Tonight's use of ground turkey went completely undetected.  There is so much flavor in these pattys it seems like the meat is just incorporated to bind the flavors together.  The husband even asked for seconds they were that good.  So, I have to say thank you to Rachael Ray, this is a healthy recipe I can add to my collection. 

I did do a few things different than Rachael when I made my pattys.  I used red onion instead of shallots, I didn't add poultry seasoning and I used smoked provolone cheese.  Other than that, I pretty much followed the whole recipe.  Delish!!

Here's Rachael's recipe, right from her site...you can also find it in her monthly magazine Everyday which also has Guy Fieri on the cover (I like him too!)


Picture from the Rachael Ray site....ours were gone before I even thought to get a photo!

Double-High Turkey & Portobello Patty Melts

  • For the Turkey Burgers:
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons grated onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

  • 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided

  • For the Portobellos:
  • 4 large Portobello mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 large shallot, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala
  • Softened butter
  • 8 slices Pullman or soughdough bread
  • 8 slices Jarlsberg or Emmentaler cheese

Yields: 4

Preparation

Make the turkey burgers: In a bowl, combine turkey, onion, chives, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire and poultry seasoning. Form into 4 thin patties. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8-10 minutes.
Make the portobellos: In another skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the shallot, thyme, salt and pepper; cook to soften, 5-10 minutes. Deglaze with sherry.
Wipe out the skillet and place over medium-high heat. Spread butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Layer each of 4 bread slices, buttered side down, with a cheese slice, a burger, some mushrooms, another cheese slice and another bread slice, buttered side up. Fry the melts in the skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment