Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taco Tuesday

Here it is Tuesday and I already don't feel like making dinner listening to the complaints about dinner.  I really like making dinner, it's just the constant "do I have to eat that, I'm not eating that, what is that?"  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Today, I made everyone's favorite meal.  Taco's...well, my casserole version of tacos, which of course I got the dagger looks given to me for.  I prefer the casserole method of making things.  I like everything in one dish to serve at dinner.  I don't mind cleaning up while I'm cooking, but there is something about cleaning up after dinner that I just don't like to do.  While we sat down to eat dinner I thought boy, I should take a photo of this crazy meal to share with you and before I could get the camera and turn it on this is what my 9x13 looked like:         
                                    NEARLY EMPTY!!!!
Taco Casserole



 Sorry, that was all there was left to share with you...after everyone dished out their plates, it looked like that...luckily, they did leave me some (insert happy face here)  

This casserole is so easy to make.  I came up with it one day out of a lack of tortilla shells and also a desire to make sure that everyone was eating their veggies, including me.  We don't have a good relationship, veggies and I.  I try really hard to get them on the table and in the kid's lunches...really, I do.  This casserole is super simple to get in a bunch of veggies and no one really notices, including me...I know weird since I put them there :)  

Here's my recipe:
1lb ground turkey or meat (whichever you want to use)
1.5 cups of FRESH salsa...fresh has lots of veggies and yea, it's really FRESH.  (usually found in the produce section of the grocery store)
2 cups of Tostitos brand Multi-Grain Scoops (we LOVE these) 
2 cups of taco cheese blend or cheddar cheese shredded
1/4 red onion diced 
1 can of black beans

Crumble 1 cup of scoops and place on bottom of a 9x13 dish.
Brown meat, add onion, salsa, black beans and any other tacoy (yes, I said Taco-y) ingredient into the pan after the meat is browned.  For an extra kick you may want to add jalapenos or something of the like.  After you have the taco mixture prepared, place half of the mixture over the crumbled scoops.  Then layer 1/2 of the cheese on top.  Add the balance of the meat mixture, cheese and top with 1 cup of crumbled scoops.  Place in a warmed pre-heated 350 degree oven until cheese is gooey...about 10-12 minutes.  I hope your family enjoys this meal as much as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment