Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween YardStake Sign...almost done

Well, it's later than I wanted to post....and I'm not done, but I really didn't want to let you down, so here is my almost complete Halloween YardStake semi tutorial.  Wow, that was a LOT of words!  I want to thank many of the other bloggers out there for inspiration...I'm sorry, but I don't have any names in particular to share, if you have created a YardStake similar to mine, let me know and I'll list your name HERE.  This sign however is completely original and my own design.

First I ran out to my favorite big box wood store and picked up some wood.  I spent $11.87 for three pieces of wood- (1) 2"x8', (1) 3"x8 and (1) 4"x8.  I now have enough to wood to make another yardstake, plus.  

I actually pulled the measuring tape out on this one, only because I wanted the stake to be "big" enough...whatever that was going to be.  I decided on 41", seemed good to me.  I cut the stake part (black) 41" using my Craftsman Compound Miter Saw.  My favorite brother and sister in law got it for me last Christmas.  I think they were tired of me borrowing theirs...haha!  

I then cut my "word" signs different lengths, each one was between 14" and 12.5".  I used my 45 degree capabilities and created directional points on two of my signs.  I then sanded all of the wood lightly and started painting.  This is when I remembered to take photos....sorry, I said I would try better with this tutorial thing.  Ya gotta understand, alot of the time I get an idea in my head and then I'm totally working on the fly and wingin' it, so I didn't think to take any photos before :(
                                      


 

I decided what words I wanted to apply on the signs and using my trusty Cricut, I made a stencil and painted the lettering onto my signs.  Once everything was painted, I then sanded the edges for a little distressing.  I also turned my signs upside down on top of the rocks and nails and with a rubber mallet, beat the signs into the "distressing tools" getting a really worn look in the wood.  After sanding, I applied walnut stain to the edges and then quickly wiped off any excess stain.  After the stain dried, I sprayed the signs and the stake with some matte clear coat to protect everything from the weather. 


Here are the three signs ready to be attached to the stake.


Almost finished product.  I still need to add a few finishing touches, but I didn't want to disappoint my one follower...lol!  See how important you are!!!  I'll edit tomorrow once this screaming headache goes away and I can concentrate better.  I may be able to add a little humor then too...we shall see.  I still need to attach an embellishment or so and screw the signs to the stake (they are currently being held together with my favorite Gorilla Glue) I can get away with leaving the sign the way it is, but I'm a glue and screw kinda gal.  Until tomorrow.  Hope you like my version of a Halloween YardStake.

Not sure why the purple is not coming out well, but the bottom sign is purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment