Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kisses Goodnight

A friend of mine recently had a baby girl.  I figured I could give her the typical baby garb.  You know the kind...frilly dresses, little socks with lace edging, cuddly blankets, etc., etc., etc.  But...I decided to make something instead of just going out and buying a gift....SHOCKER!  What can I say, I like to make gifts.  Doesn't matter for who, but making and giving the gift is special to me.  So to make something for baby M it had to be special, not countryish or prim, cute, but not too frilly, and I definitely could not have animal print on it.  I decided to make what else???  A sign!  Something that can hang in her room, go with the decor, and always remind Mommy and Daddy to read a book, hug, kiss and tuck their baby in tight.  Because mark my words, it will change, that beautiful little baby will turn into a beautiful.hormonal.teenage.boy-crazy lunatic. girl...and you may need that reminder to love your child....haha.  Yes, I'm living in that nightmare right now...ugg, did I do this to my parents?  Eww!  Oh, so sorry, back to the subject...I A.D.D'd on you there.  

I absolutely stole re-appropriated the saying and idea.  I saw it on a blog a long, long time ago and never bookmarked (now thanking the idea Gods for Pinterest) the site (sorry).  If this was your idea, please let me know so I can give you the props you were meant to have!!
Yes, so again, I didn't take any before's and I didn't have any charge left in my camera, but you get the idea.  Needless to say, if I used my camera to make phone calls or text it would do a lousy job, so I guess having something from my phone instead of nothing worked out ok...don't give me such a hard time..lol! 

The sign is about 13ish inches x 16ish inches.  Remember, I don't measure, I almost exclusively eyeball things and wing it.  It's part of my ART-itude...haha!  Wow, I really like that word...and I just made it up...ART-itude.  Yep, that's mine, along with crack-a-doodle, snater, snover and some more that I'll share another day.

I can tell you the steps I took to create this project.
1.  Picked out a nice straight piece of pine.( the paintable, not stainable) 
2.  Used the table saw to cut it down
3.  Sanded top, back and edges.  (even before aesthetics, it's going in a child's room, it has to be safe...or as safe as a plank of wood can be.)
4.  Base coated all sides and edges
5.  Selected saying and cut it out on my handy dandy Cricut machine <3 it!
6.  Waited for paint to dry...boring!!!
7.  Applied vinyl (look around the web, 1000's of tuts out there on this)
8.  Drilled two holes in top of sign to hang ribbon from....probably should have done this around step 3...oops!
9.  Mod-Podged coordinating ribbon along the entire edge of the sign
10.Cut and tied ribbon through top holes 
11.Took the photo I forgot to do from the start (you won't forget when you make yours)

Second attempt at a better photo...not so much better 
Funny, I wasn't going to post this today.  I've been so busy being Mommy, taking care of HSA fundraisers, working, cleaning and figuring out my coupon excursions for the week,that I figured I'd get to my blog before tomorrow, maybe?  A whole entire week went by and I posted NOTHING....guess there goes my one follower!  Boo!!  I try, really, but you know that whole burning the candle at both ends....the idea sounds great until you've got a lighter to both ends and then well, you know how that goes.  Of course, it seems as though I always have time for my true addiction Pinterest.  While I was there today, someone posted the saying I put on baby M's sign and it got me thinking that I should add this to my blog.  See, now you just saw my whole thought process....a little scary, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment