Sunday, February 26, 2012

Funky Fashion



Zebra is an ongoing theme in our home.  The G's like zebra.  We have it in on walls and furniture.  We have it covering school books and we have it in scrapbooks.  Zebra is "in" in our home..at least for the G's.  Me, yea, I'm not that bold to wear Zebra.  I like it on other people, it's just not "me".  Recently, on my favorite website, Pinterest, there has been a t-shirt tutorial floating around.  I can't seem to find a blog of any sort that it is on to share with you, but I did find it's source.  Her name is Tara and I'd like to give her credit for this idea.  It's how I came up with my project.

Here is the source of inspiration...and it can be found here (If you need an invite to Pinterest, just let me know)

Awesome T-Shirt Tutorial found on Pinterest.  Photo source: Pinterest
My littlest G is who I decided to make an "awesome" shirt for.  I already made a different one for the oldest G, so it was little ones turn.  You can read about the oldest of G's shirt here.  Needless to say...I have a happy G here at home.

Supplies needed:
Shirt
Contrasting fabric
Chalk
Ruler
Stencil
Cardboard or other sturdy board
sewing machine
thread
pins
scissors or rotary cutter
yea...I think that's it.

This project took approximately 30 minutes to do.  I definitely DO NOT proclaim to be a seamstress of any degree.  My project isn't perfect. 

I basically followed the tutorial that you see above.  I placed a very sturdy piece of cardboard in between the shirt  I made a stencil and I used chalk to outline the hearts onto the shirt.  
 
I then took a ruler and measured the lines horizontally across the hearts.  I then used my Olfa cutter to cut the lines into the heart.  
 
After the lines were cut, I measured the contrasting fabric and pinned it right side to the shirt and began to sew around the heart shape.  I also cut a "V" into the neck of the shirt...just to make it a different for little G.
 


 
After the heart was sewn, I sewed the horizontal lines.  I then trimmed any excess material from the sewn lines and I trimmed all the remaining strings.  

A few things I learned:  

1.  I probably should have sewn the lines first and then the 
     heart shape.
2.  Be sure to backstitch.
3.  Cotton can really grow while you sew.  Be sure to pin 
     everything together.
4.  Mistakes happen
5.  A photographer I am not, but I kinda knew that 
     already...hehe 
            (on the   project list to learn more about)
6.  Little things make my kids happier than anything.  
7.  An original shirt put a smile on my littlest G's face 
     and me too!

As always, I encourage you to try something out of your realm...you never know what you may be really good at or what you may fall in love doing.
'Till next time...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness... that is one cuuuuute shirt! I really want one now... and it's purple too! I'm so glad you posted this one. I just looked through your blog... you are super talented! I'm also hungry now...lol

    ReplyDelete